Made with delectable parmesan-crusted chicken pieces and a cheesy gooey alfredo sauce, this crispy chicken recipe is ideal for comforting family dinners! Plus, this is the perfect replica of how the restaurant makes its dish!
The Olive Garden chicken fritta is one of my favorite restaurant dishes, but honestly, I like my homemade version better.
It’s made with simple ingredients to create the best homemade parmesan-crusted chicken – without taking a lot of time and at a fraction of the price.
The chicken is first breaded in a breadcrumbs-cheese-flour mixture before being fried in hot oil. It’s then served with a rich, creamy, and delectable alfredo sauce, that’s just to die for!
But if you don’t want to deep fry the chicken pieces, you can bake or air fry them!
I serve this dish with fresh pasta, but why not try with these longhorn steakhouse stuffed mushrooms or these Ina Garten au gratin potatoes?
This is a copycat recipe of crispy chicken fritta Olive Garden and it’s really easy to tackle during a busy weeknight.
Olive Garden Parmesan Crusted Chicken Recipe
- Prep Time25 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time55 min
For The Chicken
For The Sauce
How to Make Crispy Chicken Fritta
Cooking The Pasta
To start, cook the pasta as directed on the package. In this recipe, I used tagliatelle and cooked them al dene. Drain and set aside.
Preparing The Chicken
In a bowl, add 4 tablespoons of flour, the bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese, and mix thoroughly. In another bowl, pour the milk and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Dip and coat the chicken cutlets pieces with the flour breadcrumbs mixture first. Make sure the chicken is fully coated. Then dip it in the milk mixture. Repeat this process two to three times.
Add 2 tablespoons of oil to your skillet and heat it over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces and cook for 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the fried chicken pieces from the pan and put it on a plate.
Making The Sauce
In a saucepan, melt the butter with 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
Once the butter melts, whisk in the 4 remaining tablespoons of flour until well combined.
Stir in the half-and-half. Wish continuously, so it doesn’t burn. Then add the minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Continue whisking until you get a smooth texture.
Next, sprinkle the grated asiago cheese until it melts and the Italian seasoning, whisking continuously. Set aside.
Putting It All Together
For serving, I like to add the pasta first at the bottom of a bowl, then the crispy breaded chicken. I finish off by pouring one cup of sauce over the chicken.
Sprinkle parsley and grated parmesan cheese on top for more greed.
- Soak the chicken breasts in the buttermilk. Marinating the chicken in buttermilk will make your chicken extra tender and juicy. Leave the pieces for at least 24 hours in the buttermilk before frying.
- Use any cut of chicken you like. This recipe is easily adaptable to any piece of chicken. Instead of using chicken breast, opt for chicken tenders or chicken breast strips. Avoid chicken thighs though. With the bone, skin and meat you’ll struggle breading and frying them.
- Flatten the chicken. If the chicken breasts are too thick, cut them in half and tender them with a meat hammer. Thin chicken breasts are easier to bread and fry.
- If the crumbs start falling off your breaded chicken, tap off the dry and wet mixture when dredging. After dredging, pat the meat to make the dry mixture stick.
- Ensure your oil is hot before frying the chicken pieces. If your oil is too cold, the breading will become soggy instead of crispy. Hot means temperatures about 350°F. Since this recipe doesn’t call for lots of oil to cut fat on purpose, don’t hesitate to add more oil when frying the chicken.
How to Store and Reheat Crispy Chicken Fritta
- In The Fridge: store this chicken parmesan for 3-4 days.
- In The Freezer: To keep it longer, freeze it for 3-4 months as per the USDA recommendation.
To reheat, put in a 400 degrees preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. But don’t put it in the microwave or it will end up soggy.
Try These Next!
Tried This Recipe?
Let me know in the comments section! Give me your honest feedback ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- 47.9g Fat
- 103.7g Carbs
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|