This Hello Fresh’s cream sauce base recipe combines basic ingredients: butter, milk, flour, cream and seasonings. The end result is an irresistible, savory, and decadent sauce that’s just to die for!
What Is Cream Sauce Base?
Cream sauce base is a white sauce made with a roux base and milk and to which cream is added. On the other hand, a roux is a flour and fat (usually butter) mixture that is cooked together and is often used to thicken sauces.
Hello Fresh Cream Sauce Base
This cream sauce recipe is a flavorful sauce, perfectly thick and creamy with a delectable buttery taste!
It’s also very versatile since you can pair it with almost anything. Plus, this recipe uses only 5 ingredients and is ready in less than 15 minutes.
I usually use this creamy sauce recipe in dishes like potato fennel gratin or as a base for an Italian casserole. I also toss it in cooked pasta, and shredded cheese to make a decadent red robin mac n cheese, or I use it as a fajita topping or for grilled lamb chops.
What Is In The Hello Fresh Cream Sauce Base?
For this cream sauce, you’ll only need the following basic ingredients:
- Flour: flour acts as a thickening agent to give the cream sauce a smooth texture
- Butter: Melted and mixed with flour, it will form the roux. It also adds richness and fat to the sauce.
- Milk: milk gives the body of the sauce.
- Heavy cream: You can’t make a cream sauce without heavy cream! For a nice twist, use half sour cream, and half heavy cream.
- Seasoning: Salt and black pepper add savory flavors.
Hello Fresh Cream Sauce Base Recipe
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time15 min
- Servings2 servings
- Yield1-1.5 cups
How to Make Hello Fresh Cream Sauce Base
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Pour the flour into the pan and constantly whisk for 3 minutes.
Pour in the milk a little at a time as you continue whisking.
Once you’ve added all of the milk, bring the sauce to a simmer.
Once it simmers, keep cooking (and stirring) the sauce for about 5 minutes over low heat until the cream has a thick, silky desired consistency.
Take the pan off the stove and add the heavy cream, salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
- The sauce might form lumps or skin when cooling down. To remove them, reheat the sauce over the stove, add a little more milk, and whisk.
- To avoid the sauce from clumping up, constantly whisk when adding the milk.
- For a successful sauce and the perfect “roux” (the flour/butter mixture), always add the same quantity of flour and butter.
Fun Ways to Adapt This Recipe
- Parmesan Cream Sauce. For a tangy sauce, add ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese.
- Vegan Cream Sauce. To make this recipe dairy-free, use almond or full-fat coconut milk.
- Spicy Cream Sauce. Add hot sauce or a teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper for a spicy take. If you want more flavor without the heat, add a teaspoon of dijon mustard instead.
- Herbed Cream Sauce. For a flavorful savory sauce, stir in fresh parsley, dill or oregano and a dash of garlic powder.
- Mushroom Cream Sauce. Sauté sliced mushrooms in butter before adding the flour to make a roux.
More Easy Sauce Recipes
- Wingstop Ranch Recipe (Copycat)
- Domino’s Garlic Parmesan Sauce Recipe
- Sonic Crave Sauce Recipe
- Smoky Red Pepper Crema Recipe
Have You Tried My Recipe?
I’d love to hear from you! Leave feedback and a rating in the comment section ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐