This Ina Garten Banana Bread is so moist, with a hint of sweetness added to it. Made with delicious mashed bananas, tangy sour cream, and slightly sweet brown sugar, this recipe is sure to be a hit for kids and adults alike.
Barefoot Contessa Banana Bread
If you’ve been following me for some time, you should know that I absolutely adore banana bread (especially Ina Garten’s recipes!). And having tried quite a few, you can trust me when I say that this particular one is incredible.
It has a moist consistency, a slitghtly banana flavor and an addictive melt in mouth texture.
What I also love about this banana bread is the fact that you can basically serve it at any hour of the day…for breakfast, for brunch, as a dessert, or for a quick snack.
You can also customize it to your liking: chocolate chips, toasted pecans, cinnamon or even nutmeg!
I like to slice it into individual portions and freeze them. Then, whenever I’m in the mood for a comforting piece of cake, I simply pop one in the toaster!
What I Changed
- I didn’t include 1/2 cup of white sugar that Ina Garten recommends. I don’t particularly like desserts that are too sweet. With just ½ cup of brown sugar, this version is really perfect!
- I used ½ cup of vegetable oil. Ina Garten leaves the choice between oil and melted butter. Oil gives cakes a spongy texture, while butter provides a melt-in-mouth texture. So it’s entirely up to you!
Barefoot Contessa Banana Bread Recipe
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time50 min
- Total Time1h10 min
- Yield10 slices
How To Make It
Set the oven to 350°F.
Add mashed ripe bananas and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients until combined.
Add the eggs one by one.
Then add the oil, vanilla extract, and sour cream to the banana mixture.
Keep mixing until the batter is smooth.
Add flour, salt, and baking soda to another bowl and whisk until well combined.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
Mix until they are combined. Do not overmix. Some lumps are ok.
Grease a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, oil or butter. Pour the banana bread batter into the pan.
Bake the banana bread for 45-50 minutes.
Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. One completely cool, slice your banana bread.
- Banana bread and cream cheese frosting are the perfect pairings! To elevate this barefoot Contessa banana bread to the next level, combine ½ cup of softened buter with cream cheese until creamy. Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract and ¼ tsp of salt. Add gradually 4 cups of powdered sugar and spread on the banana bread!
- I used fresh bananas for this recipe. But over ripe bananas are good candidates for banana bread. Plus, it’s a great way to use bananas that would otherwise be thrown away!
- Even if it’s super tempting, don’t eat or slice the banana bread straight away! If you do, the bread may fall apart. Instead, wait until it’s completely cool to slice and serve it!
Tried This Recipe?
Let me know in the comment section! And don’t hesitate to rate it ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
More Dessert Recipes
- Ina Garten Lemon Pound Cake
- Lorna Doone Cookies
- Ina Garten Blintz Soufflé
- Porto’s Cheese Rolls
- Ihop Pancakes
- 20.3g Fat
- 52.8g Carbs