You’ve probably made blintz soufflés before, preparing a batter, filling them with a cheese layer, and then baking the pancake batter.
But this prepared dish in the style of Ina Garten is easier. Ina Garten’s method means that you don’t need to worry about the rolling and filling of the crepes.
Instead, you just need some easy-to-source ingredients, a blender, and a good oven to make these cheese blintzes.
So if you’re celebrating Shavuot, or just want a special treat, her blintz soufflé recipe is the method to follow. You can prepare the dish with a fresh blueberry sauce as Ina does, or opt for another topping and follow our unique twists.
Ina Garten Blintz Soufflé Specialities
Ina Garten’s baked blintzes are a take on the traditional blintz soufflé recipe.
She doesn’t just make regular blintzes or crepes. She makes a pancake batter. And then on top of this, she puts a mixture of ricotta and mascarpone cheeses.
Finally, she adds a blueberry sauce. And it’s a simple recipe – which is why I like it so much and wanted to share it with you.
Normally, you have to fill traditional blintzes with a sweet cheese filling and then roll them. Here, there’s no tricky filling and rolling – and you don’t need any frozen products either.
But, I have put my own twist on the Ina Garten recipe. I’ve added orange juice and cornstarch. And for a warm, spicy kick, I’ve substituted cinnamon for the zest and freshly squeezed lemon juice in the filling.
If you want to see more of what Ina Garten cooks, check out her website here. Or you can find Ina Garten’s cookbook here.
Ina Garten Blintz Souffle Recipe
- Prep Time25 min
- Cook Time50 min
- Total Time1 hr 15 min
- Servings8 to 10
- Yield10 blintzes
For the batter:
For the filling:
- Make the Batter
Grease your baking dish – one sized about 9 x 13 inches is ideal. And preheat your oven to 350oF.
Put all of the batter ingredients into the bowl of your food processor, or you can use a blender instead. Blend until the mixture is smooth.
Pour about half the batter into your baking pan. Bake for about 10 minutes – until the mixture is just set.
- Prepare the Filling
Put the ricotta cheese and mascarpone cheese into your food processor, or a mixing bowl. Beat the mixture until it’s smooth.
Then, add the rest of the cheese filling ingredients. Mix thoroughly and then set aside.
- Create the Soufflés
Spread your cheese filling over the baked pancake in the dish. Next, pour the remaining pancake batter over this baked layer.
The cream cheese filling should now be covered. Then, put the baking dish back into the oven.
Bake for about another 35-40 minutes.
You’ll know when the baked cheese blintzes are baked perfectly because they should have a light golden color on top and the filling should look almost set.
Take the dish out of the oven and allow your blintz soufflés to stand for about 10 minutes or so.
Finally, cut the blintz soufflé into squares. Serve while they’re still warm!
What To Serve With Ina Garten Blintz Soufflé
- The best accompaniment to this blintz souffle ina garten is a homemade apple sauce.
- But, if you fancy something a bit different, you can serve the soufflés with any fruit sauce. For example, Ina Garten serves her baked blintzes with fresh blueberry sauce.
- Or, try serving your blintz soufflés with vanilla ice cream, sour cream, or whipped cream. Or for a really decadent topping try some maple syrup or a chocolate sauce.
- Use a stoneware baking dish. It’s a good choice to make sure that heat is evenly distributed across the whole soufflé. Or a glass baking pan with high sides would also work well.
- Or use small ramekins for a special treat for your guests. They’ll be delighted to get their own individual soufflé.
- Sprinkle flour as well as butter in your dish or molds. The soufflés will then rise well up the sides – the dough sticks better when there’s flour too and not just the smooth surface of the butter.
- Or opt for sugar instead of flour on the molds. This will give your soufflé a sweeter taste.
Tips and Tricks
- 21.5g Fat
- 32g Carbs
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|