This recipe for chicken marsala from Ina Garten is made with a rich and savory wine marsala sauce, garlic, butter, mushrooms, thyme, and so much more! Serve with pasta, roasted vegetables, or crusty bread — perfect to sop up the sauce!
Ina Garten Chicken Marsala
This chicken marsala is a simple yet superb dinner idea!
That’s simple: everyone LOVES chicken. It’s one of my go-to recipes for a successful family dinner. But when my kids crave for it, I simply remove the alcohol, and voilà! (I propose several non-alcoholic alternatives below).
What I like the most in this recipe is that the sweetness from the Marsala wine perfectly complements the earthy flavors of the thyme and mushrooms.
Plus, this scrumptious recipe is a breeze to make (just make sure to check my pro tips section).
Ina Garten Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time50 min
How To Make Ina Garten Chicken Marsala
Preparing The Chicken
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Cut the chicken breasts in half and flatten them with a meat hammer.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Add flour to a bowl and cover the chicken pieces with flour on both sides.
Set aside the flour leftovers.
Cooking The Chicken
Heat 2 tablespoons of butter with ½ cup of olive oil over medium-high heat in the pan.
Cook the chicken cutlets for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Once nicely browned, set aside.
Cooking The Mushrooms
Add the thyme, the five whole garlic cloves, and the sliced mushrooms to the hot pan.
Fry the mushrooms over medium heat until they become tender (approx. 5 minutes)
Add the sherry to deglaze the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula then add the three minced garlic cloves. Cook until fragrant.
Cooking The Sauce
Then add the chicken broth and the marsala wine. Add salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer until thickened.
Add the chicken pieces to the skillet. Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven.
Thickening The Sauce
Add ¼ cup of the flour set aside and mix with three tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and butter mixture to the sauce and stir.
Simmer the sauce for another 5 minutes over medium heat until the sauce thickens further. Top with chopped parsley and serve with Copycat Wingstop Fries, Red Robin Mac and Cheese Recipe, Ina Garten Spinach Pie Recipe or Ina Garten Scalloped Potatoes.
Marsala Wine Choice & Substitutions
- Marsala Wine: To cook this chicken marsala recipe, you can choose sweet or dry marsala wine. Both will work fine. To help you choose, ask yourself if you would drink it. Also, dry marsala wine gives a more complex taste while sweet marsala wine adds sweetness.
- Alcoholic Options: If you can’t find marsala wine in your area, you can substitute it with Madeira, port, vermouth, or white wine. I’ve already tried to replace marsala wine with Porto. It was delicious! As well, to substitute sherry, you can use apple cider vinegar.
- Non-Alcoholic Options: If you don’t drink alcohol, substitute marsala with apple juice. To replicate the marsala taste, mix with sherry vinegar and vanilla extract. In terms of quantities, for the equivalent of 1 cup of marsala, count ½ cup of apple juice, four tablespoons of sherry vinegar, and vanilla extract.
Tips For The Best Chicken Marsala
- Choose cremini mushrooms rather than white button mushrooms. Creminis mushrooms have that authentic, earthy taste and crunchy texture that button mushrooms don’t. I simply love them!
- Use any part of the chicken you like. Ina Garten uses a mixture of chicken breast and chicken thighs. I have used chicken strips once. Any part will do!
- For an even richer and greedier chicken marsala, add ¼ cup of cream to the sauce. Trust me, it’s so good you won’t be able to stop eating!
- Don’t hesitate to add the eight cloves of garlic that Ina Garten recommends. Once cooked, the garlic will have a sweeter and milder taste. I am not a garlic fan, yet I love this recipe!
- If you’re out of ideas for what to serve with chicken marsala, I’ve built up a list of the most flavorful side dishes.
How To Store Ina Garten Chicken Marsala
- In The Fridge: Keep Ina Garten’s chicken marsala in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container.
- In The Freezer: Store in the freezer for a maximum of 3 months as recommended per the USDA.
Try These Ina Garten Chicken Recipes Next!
- Ina Garten Chicken Salad
- Chicken Piccata Ina Garten
- Barefoot Contessa Chicken Soup
- Zaxby’s chicken fingers
- Mar Far Chicken
Tried This Recipe?
Let me know in the comments section and share your feedback!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- 36.7g Fat
- 21.9g Carbs