This Mar Far Chicken is made with fresh chicken that is coated in a mouth-watering crispy batter. It’s then deep-fried to golden perfection. Serve with a Chinese sweet pink sauce and steamed rice!
I love fried chicken so much that I wanted to recreate this chicken recipe right away!
But what makes this dish stand out from other fried chicken is the addition of milk and soy sauce to the batter. The soy sauce adds umami, while the milk tenders the chicken.
Then, the deep frying process gives it a nice golden-brown color and a nutty, rich flavor.
This is an irresistible combination that will make you want more!
Then you dip the chicken into a Chinese pink sauce. But I recommend you try this boom boom sauce instead for a boost of flavors!
Mar far chicken is delicious when served as a main dish. But it’s also great as fajita fixings!
What Is Mar Far Chicken?
Mar Far chicken is the oriental version of chicken nuggets.
Although it may sound like a popular Chinese dish, it actually originates from a southern restaurant in Oregon (Kim’s Restaurant) where it became popular.
Mar Far Chicken Recipe
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Total Time25 min
- Yield4 servings
How To Make It
Cut the chicken breasts into thin pieces or strips of 1 inch.
Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl.
Whisk until well combined.
Add the large egg, soy sauce, and milk to a separate medium bowl.
Whisk to create a batter.
Coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, then the egg batter. Gently shake off any excess batter.
Pour oil into a frying pan. Heat the oil. Add the batter-dipped chicken pieces to the oil and deep fry both sides until golden brown. Continue to cook the chicken in batches.
- Toss the fried chicken pieces into a few tablespoons of sesame oil to enhance the flavor of the chicken. But don’t use sesame oil for frying the chicken as it has a low smoking point.
- Cut the chicken breasts into evenly-sized pieces. This is the secret to perfectly deep-frying the chicken pieces. Evenly-sized pieces prevent pieces from being undercooked or overcooked.
- Preheat the oil to around 350-375°F. If the oil is too cold, the chicken breasts absorb too much oil and become too greasy. But if the oil is too hot, the pieces will burn on the outside while staying raw on the inside.
- Deep fry in small batches. If you overcrowd the pan, the oil temperature will drop and make a greasy chicken.
- Remove excess oil by draining the deep-fried pieces in a strainer or paper towel-lined plate.
Reheating Deep Fried Mar Far Chicken
- In the oven: The best way to reheat deep-fried chicken pieces is to preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 10-15 minutes until thoroughly heated. This process will keep the crispy texture of the chicken.
- In the microwave: If you use the microwave, you’ll end up with soggy chicken pieces. Still, it’s possible – microwave for 1 – 2 minutes on high.
- On the stovetop: If you don’t have an oven, you can also reheat on the stovetop and in a pan for a few minutes on each side.
More Chicken Recipes!
Did You Enjoy My Recipe?
Leave a comment to let me know! (and a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐!)
- 21.9g Fat
- 21.1g Carbs