If you’re craving crispy chicken, this Mar Far Chicken Recipe will hit the spot. This popular chicken dish from Oregon mixes all your favorite Chinese food and American food flavors together!
Mar Far Chicken was invented by Kim’s Restaurant in Medford, Oregon. It consists of deep fried breaded chicken accompanied by their classic sweet pink sauce.
This delicious dish makes an easy quick dinner or a delicious afternoon snack. Kids love it too, so it’s a great high-protein option for lunch boxes!
Skip the takeout and try making this easy but restaurant-worthy dish at home instead!
Mar Far Chicken vs. Sweet & Sour Chicken
If you’ve never tried Mar Far Chicken before, it might just sound like your classic sweet and sour chicken. But, there are a few key differences that make this dish unique!
For starters, Mar Far sauce is more creamy because of the addition of milk and egg. Sweet and sour chicken on the other hand is much more tangy and sweet.
Sweet and sour chicken is usually served with the chicken coated in sauce. Mar Far Chicken on the other hand is served with the sauce on the side for dipping.
And since it’s not coated in sauce, the chicken stays nice and crispy!
Tips and Tricks for Making Mar Far Chicken
- Sift all of the dry ingredients together. This will help give you a lighter, fluffier batter without any clumps.
- Make sure every side of the chicken is coated in the batter for maximum crispiness!
- Prepare the batter just before you make the Mar Far Chicken. If you make it ahead of time and let it sit, it will lose its air and become dense.
- Get your oil nice and hot before frying. Otherwise, the chicken will absorb the oil and become soggy instead of crispy.
Mar Far Chicken Recipe
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Total Time25 min
- Yield4 servings
- Cut the Chicken Breast
Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces.
- Sift Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Combine the Egg, Soy Sauce, and Milk
Add the large egg, soy sauce, and milk to a separate medium bowl. Whisk with chopsticks to create a batter.
- Coat Chicken in Flour Mixture and Batter
Coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, then the egg batter. Gently shake off any excess batter.
Do this for all the chicken pieces until each one is coated.
- Fry the Chicken
Pour 1/2 inch of oil into a frying pan. Heat the oil until it reaches 365°F.
Add the batter dipped chicken pieces to the oil and deep fry both sides until golden brown. Continue to cook the chicken in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Drain and Serve
Drain the excess oil from the chicken using a strainer. Serve Mar Far Chicken with your choice of pink sauce, sweet and sour sauce, or any other dip you enjoy.
What Is Mar Far Chicken Originally Served With?
- Mar Far Chicken is traditionally served with a sweet and creamy “pink sauce” on the side. Pink sauce is an exclusive recipe created by Kim’s Restaurant made with vinegar, sugar, ketchup, egg, and oil.
- You can eat this Mar Far Chicken and sauce with traditional Chinese sides like benihana fried rice, noodles, and egg rolls. But it would also work with traditional American sides like potato salad!
Store, Freeze And Reheat Mar Far Chicken
Fried chicken should be refrigerated at a temperature of 40°F or less. Do not store refrigerated fried chicken for more than four days.
The USDA recommends storing cooked chicken in the freezer for a maximum of four months.
Mar Far Chicken is best eaten fresh to maintain its moisture and crispiness. But if you need to reheat leftovers, the best way to do so is with the microwave or oven.
The microwave will keep the chicken moist nice and moist, but also tends to make the batter soggy. You can use the oven to get the chicken crispy, but then the meat is more likely to dry out.
My suggestion is to bake the chicken at 400ºF for about 12 minutes. This will get the chicken hot enough to eat, but won’t dry out the meat.
- 21.9g Fat
- 21.1g Carbs