This Red Robin Mac and Cheese recipe is everything I look for in comfort food! It’s gooey, it’s cheesy, it’s simply delicious! Plus it’s ready in no time and you can make it ahead and freeze!
Red Robins Mac and Cheese Recipe
When in a hurry, I often make this red robin mac and cheese for my family. It’s an easy dish that uses simple ingredients: milk, sharp cheddar, and processed cheese and pasta.
Plus, this is the kind of ingredients we all have in our pantry at any time!
After having cooked the pasta, you prepare a cream sauce – like in this cream sauce base hellofresh – you add the cheese and let it melt. Then you coat generously the pasta with this cheesy sauce, mix and voilà!
In 5 minutes (+15 min cooking time), you have a creamy and rich mac and cheese.
I used rigate for this simple mac and cheese, but you can use elbow macaroni like does the famous restaurant chain!
Red Robin Mac and Cheese
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Total Time20 min
How To Make It
Cook the pasta as directed on the package in lightly salted water.
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour and whisk to mix. Add milk and continue to whisk for 4 minutes. Then add the cheddar and processed cheese.
Mix grated sharp cheddar and processed cheese into the roux. Cook over low for approximately 5 minutes until the cheese becomes smooth.
Taste the sauce and add salt if needed.
Pour the drained pasta into a large mixing bowl and coat with the cheese sauce. Mix well. Make sure all the pasta is coated.
Serve this fulfilling dish with this lipton onion soup mix meatloaf recipe, this chicken marsala recipe barefoot contessa, this barefoot contessa chicken picatta recipe, or this kentucky fried chicken coleslaw recipe.
What Kind of Pasta Is Best for Mac and Cheese?
When it comes to making the perfect mac and cheese, choosing the right pasta is important.
It’s best to use a shape that will hold the sauce such as macaroni, elbow macaroni, pipe rigate or cavatappi.
The Best Cheese For Red Robin Mac and Cheese
Red robin original recipe includes sharp cheddar and processed cheese.
But you can also try other cheese tastes such as:
- Gruyère: it has a nice nutty taste and melts perfectly.
- Monterey Jack: this cheese is mild and will add more creaminess.
- Gouda: it will give a rich and smooth texture to your mac and cheese. For more taste, you can also use smoked gouda.
- Mozzarella: it has a milky creamy taste and will give an even more gooey texture.
- Make a baked version. For this, cook the pasta al dente. Follow the same recipe steps. Then, pour the mac and cheese preparation into a baking dish, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, and bake for 10 – 15 minutes at 375°F. You can also add the grill option. But don’t let it grill for more than 5 minutes.
- A great shortcut is to skip the roux. Simply melt the cheddar and processed cheese in a saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta water and 2 tbsps heavy cream to the cheese sauce. Mix and coat the pasta with the sauce. And voilà!
- To prevent lumps when making the roux, melt the butter first and then add the flour. Stir. Then gradually whisk in the milk. When the sauce is cooking, stir constantly until it thickens.
- For a nutty touch, I like adding a pinch of nutmeg to my roux. But for this mac and cheese recipe, mustard powder, garlic powder, or onion powder will work perfectly.
Storing and Freezing
You can keep this mac and cheese for up to 5 days in the fridge. And like I’ve said, this recipe is perfect for making ahead and freezing. Keep in the freezer for 3 months max.
Other Mac and Cheese Recipes You’ll Love
Tried My Recipe?
Let me know in the comment section and leave a rating! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- 18.1g Fat
- 44.3g Carbs