This Subway Seafood Sensation Recipe will help you recreate your favorite Subway sandwich right at home. Perfect for those days when you’re craving seafood but don’t feel like cooking!
Subway has been a staple of American fast food lunches since it began in 1965. Founder and New Yorker Fred DeLuca wanted to bring submarine sandwiches to the masses, and thus Subway was born!
Though the Seafood Sensation probably wasn’t on Fred DeLuca’s original menu, it’s become a popular offering. The mixture of mayonnaise, imitation crab, and herb seasoning is light, fresh, and satisfyingly meaty.
Slather this seafood salad filling between two slices of your favorite bread or enjoy it on top of salads as I do! For the true Subway experience, add in a chocolate chip cookie or a side of chips!
Picking the Best Subway Seafood Sensation Ingredients
If imitation crab isn’t real crab, then what exactly is in it? Imitation crab is actually made from a Japanese fish paste called surimi.
Surimi is often formed and flavored to mimic other more expensive seafood like crab or lobster. The main fish used to make surimi is pollock, which has a mild flavor and is cheap to produce.
Most imitation crab includes surimi, egg white, sugar, salt, and starch. It has an irresistible chewy texture and a slightly sweet flavor, just like true crab!
Similar to imitation crab, imitation lobster is made from surimi. The difference is that most imitation lobster blends surimi with actual lobster meal to get a more authentic flavor.
To make this product even more like lobster, lobster flavoring and coloring are added too. Some cooks actually prefer to work with imitation lobster because there’s no shell, and the meat is already tender!
This rich dressing is made from emulsified oil, vinegar, and whipped egg yolks. Since mayonnaise is high in fat, it’s a great conductor of flavor!
Mayonnaise can be used as a spread for sandwiches, or as a base for creamy sauces like remoulade. You can add seasoning like dried herbs, hot sauce, and garlic to intensify the flavor even more.
Whether it is burgers or sub sandwiches, pretty much everything tastes better with mayonnaise!
Mrs. Dash Original Spice Blend
Mrs. Dash is my go-to spice when I want to add flavor without any extra salt. Mrs. Dash is a unique blend of dried onion, parsley, celery seed, coriander, and dozens more ingredients.
Since it uses natural dried vegetables and herbs, Mrs. Dash is also a healthy seasoning. There are no fillers, artificial flavor enhancers, or added sodium.
Subway Seafood Sensation Recipe
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time0 min
- Total Time1h5 min
- Yield4 sub sandwiches
- Shred the Imitation Crab Meat
Use a fork to shred the imitation crab meat.
- Chop Imitation Lobster Meat
Chop the imitation lobster meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix All the Ingredients Together
Add imitation crab, lobster, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and Mrs. Dash seasoning to a bowl. Blend with a spoon and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour in the fridge. Once it’s ready, add it to a sliced sandwich bun with your favorite veggies—just like Subway!
How to Serve Subway Seafood Sensation
- There are so many ways to use this tasty lobster and crab salad. Enjoy it on a soft submarine bun for lunch, or add it on top of crispy whole-grain toast.
- Make a healthy sandwich with it! Add onion slices, cucumber slices, boiled eggs or any other ingredients you like!
- As I mentioned earlier, this mixture is a great salad topper! If I need a quick lunch, a scoop of this seafood medley on some arugula is a perfectly healthy, filling meal.
- If you have kids, try serving this seafood salad on whole grain crackers as a snack. This great recipe also works as a dip for carrots, cucumbers, and celery sticks.
- Some also like to use is as a pinwheel sandwich filling.
- Craving seafood for brunch? This seafood salad is a delicious addition to eggs Benedict with creamy hollandaise.
- Accidently made too much of this seafood medley? Mix leftovers with extra mayonnaise and cooked rotini for the creamiest and most decadent pasta salad!
Imitation seafood with mayonnaise can be stored in the refrigerator for approximately 3-4 days. Make sure you use an airtight container so it stays fresh.
I don’t recommend freezing this mixture, because the dressing contains dairy which tends to separate. You’ll end up with a watery dressing and an unpleasant texture.
Since imitation crab and lobster contain real fish, make sure you follow the “use by” date. Once you open a package of imitation crab or lobster, it should be eaten within three days.
If you’re using frozen imitation crab or lobster for this recipe, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Never thaw food at room temperature, because that’s when bacteria start to grow.
- 6.9g Fat
- 51.2g Carbs