This gooey TikTok Mac and Cheese puts other mac and cheese recipes to shame! It’s creamy, decadent, and everything you want in a comfort food.
This viral recipe was created by Mariam Daud, also known as @mxriyum on TikTok. Her now-famous mac and cheese shot to popularity after it was featured in her Thanksgiving food series.
Gruyere, sharp cheddar, white cheddar, and cream cheese give this macaroni its ooey gooey goodness. It’s the perfect pick-me-up treat or decadent side dish for the holidays.
This recipe is freezer-friendly and easy to store. I’ll be surprised if you have any leftovers though!
Tips & Tricks For Making The Best TikTok Mac And Cheese
- Avoid pre-packaged grated cheese. These products are coated with preservatives to keep the cheese from clumping, making it difficult for the cheese to melt.
- Mix and match sharp cheeses with mild, creamy cheeses for greater depth of flavor. A mild variety like Monterey Jack cheese, mozzarella cheese or parmesan cheese complement sharp cheddar by providing different flavor and texture.
- Give your macaroni and cheese a crispy topping for texture. Popular options include panko crumbs, seasoned bread crumbs, or even bacon bits!
- Cook your pasta “al dente” to avoid mushy macaroni. The pasta will continue to cook once it mixes with the creamy sauce and bakes in the oven.
- Don’t forget to add the pasta water! This step is often ignored, but starchy pasta water will help thicken your sauce and keep it from separating.
- Choose unsalted instead of salted butter. The melted cheese contains sodium, so unsalted butter will help you avoid an overly salty dish.
- Like your mac and cheese spicy? Try mixing 1-2 teaspoons of sriracha hot sauce into the cheese sauce for some extra flavor.
Read Also: Lobster Pasta Recipe Gordon Ramsay
How To Make TikTok Mac And Cheese Recipe
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time40 min
- Total Time50 min
- Preheat the Oven
Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine Cream, Cream Cheese, and Seasonings
Pour heavy cream into a medium pot. Add the cream cheese, onion powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
Simmer the ingredients together over low heat.
- Boil Pasta
Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Salt the water and add the macaroni pasta.
Cook the pasta until it is al dente. Set aside 1/2 cup of pasta water and then drain the macaroni into a colander.
- Sauté Garlic and Shallots
Place the large pot back on the stove over medium heat. Add butter, along with minced shallot and garlic.
Sauté the garlic and shallot until the shallots turn translucent.
- Add Flour
Add flour to the pot and stir with a wooden spoon. It should turn a golden brown color.
- Pour in the Cream Mixture
Pour the warm cream cheese and cream mixture into the pot with the flour. At this point, you can also add 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Stir the ingredients until a sauce forms.
- Add Grated Cheeses
Add the shredded Gruyere, sharp cheddar, and white cheddar to the sauce. Stir until the cheeses melt and the sauce becomes creamy.
Taste the sauce and see if it needs more seasoning. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Add Cooked Pasta
Pour the drained macaroni pasta into the pot with the cheese sauce. Stir until all the pasta is coated with sauce.
- Pour into Baking Dish
Pour 1/2 of the macaroni and cheese mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese, then add more macaroni.
Continue layering macaroni with shredded cheese until the baking dish is full.
Bake the macaroni and cheese for 10 minutes. The top should be golden brown and the layers of cheese nice and melted.
Garnish with green onion, chopped fresh parsley or chives and serve hot!
More Mac and Cheese Recipes For You to Try
What To Serve With TikTok Mac And Cheese
- This TikTok Mac and Cheese was specially made for Thanksgiving dinners. The creamy cheese sauce complements other holiday sides like seasoned stuffing, turkey, and cranberries.
- In Southern cuisine, mac and cheese is a popular side dish at barbecues. Creamy macaroni goes great with sweet and smoky barbecued chicken or pork.
- For a classic family dinner, try this macaroni with your favorite meatloaf recipe. Similar to barbecued meats, a savory herbed meatloaf complements the cheesy pasta.
- For a more rounded meal, I recommend adding a healthy side of vegetables when you serve mac and cheese. A crunchy side salad or steamed broccoli are some easy foods to prepare.
Green beans are another delicious side choice, and like mac and cheese, they are great for the holidays. Sauté beans with a little garlic and lemon and you have a simple but flavorful side dish.
Storage And Reheating Instructions
Always let cooked dishes cool before you refrigerate them. For pasta dishes such as this mac and cheese, it’s best to transfer the food to an airtight container.
Stored correctly, this TikTok Mac and Cheese will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Mac and cheese freezes well too, and is one of my favorite reheated side dishes! Store the mac and cheese in a freezer bag, and it’ll keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To reheat this mac and cheese after freezing, use a microwave or the oven. The pasta will have soaked up a lot of the sauce, so add 1-2 tablespoons of milk while heating.
Mac and cheese is comfort food, so the focus is certainly more on flavor than healthiness. Typical homemade macaroni and cheese contains about 300-500 calories per serving.
Macaroni and cheese is high in carbohydrates, as the main ingredient is wheat pasta. It’s also high in sodium and fat due to the amount of cheese.
Professionals recommend healthy individuals consume a maximum of 2400mg of sodium daily and 300mg of cholesterol. Fats should only consist of 30% of your daily calories.
Too much fat, sodium, and cholesterol can lead to cardiovascular disease. For this reason, this macaroni and cheese should only be eaten as an occasional treat.
To balance out the high sodium and fat in this dish, it’s best to pair mac and cheese with vegetables. Alternatively, you can eat lower sodium foods on the day when you plan to serve mac and cheese. – Kirsten Mae Magbanua, RND
- 34.4g Fat
- 23.9g Carbs